Thursday 21 April 2011

The Last Post


The great W. C. Fields said, “If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Then quit. There’s no point in being a damn fool about it.

When I set out on the first leg of my ambitious journey, full of optimism and with a tailwind of support from so many, I realized that it would test my stamina... indeed, that was one of the goals.

I also carried the wise advice of my friend Isobel to “listen to my body”. Well, I’d have to be stone deaf not to hear its message.

3,500km from home, the pain in my neck (already reported) moved to my chest and increased day by day. I freely admit I was scared and accelerated my return. The delights of places like Asturias and San Sebastian, were wasted on my physical and mental state.

In Bordeaux, an angry rash enabled diagnosis and treatment of “shingles” (herpes zoster, the return of chicken pox). In one way this is a relief, but it’s agonizingly painful, and a clear sign that my immunity is not strong enough to take this kind of travel.

What seemed like a great idea looking forward, now feels like a big mistake. So, with regrets, and apologies to all you followers, I’m abandoning the big plan.

I’ll just have to find another way to live to the full... as another great man said, “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.”

4 comments:

  1. Dear Graham, giving up the plan of conquering Europe doesn't mean to stop blogging, does it?
    My blog reader friends, post a comment if you want Gubba to keep on reporting on his journey called Life!
    Love, A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Graham, in any case it really was a great idea and if you have to change your plan, don’t stop blogging and let us know your news.
    A strong hug!
    Giorgio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad,

    Despite not finishing the insane task you set yourself, you achieved an amazing amount in a short time, inspired a huge group of people (including many you haven't even met) and learnt something about yourself in the process. I'd say mission accomplished.

    You're my hero.
    w

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep blogging Graham :-)

    You don't need a campervan for that!

    I'm glad you've shared your adventures with us.

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete