Monday 21 March 2011

The road home

Five days before the start, it’s time to check out my vehicle! Come with me while I kick the tyres and clean out the fridge!

OK, I admit that a motorhome is not everyone’s dream vehicle. Jeremy Clarkson describes them as “really rather tragic”, and when I see “motorhomers” waving to each other as they pass on the road, I think this is a club I don’t want to join!

But Jo and I chose very carefully and, even though it calls itself “mein Hobby”, we think it’s wonderful.

It’s built on a Fiat Ducato with a 3 litre engine which is almost fun to drive. It drinks an acceptable 11l per 100 km, so you can work out how much the whole trip will cost!

But the real pleasure is that, wherever you run out of fuel, you have every possible home comfort instantly. I have enjoyed bacon & eggs parked outside Berlin Town Hall, drunk chilled Czech beer in Sardinia, and Yorkshire Tea on the Isle of Skye.

The beds are more comfortable than the ones we have at home. The fridge is as big. Mirrors make the bathroom seem infinite (and stop you feeling lonely!). And the view is new every day.

It has a “garage” which is no exaggeration. Along with outdoor furniture and more beer, it is home to my bike... the essential local transport. For xmas my family bought me a fantastic electric power unit to help me pedal up hills.

There are many more features to share (don’t get me started on the cocktail cabinet) but I’ll save them for another time. Until then, enjoy this Top Gear motorhome movie and see how much fun I’m going to have: 






7 comments:

  1. Seems wonderfully tidy, Graham – very shipshape and Bristol fashion, eh? BTW, remember your American audiences and try using our spelling forms, such as “tires” and also “Isle of Skie,” etc. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Graham,

    Have a safe and happy journey.
    Hope to meet you in Istanbul at September.

    Best,
    Necati

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you dare to this to our Hobby a la Top Gear. Otherwise, have fun.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suuuuuuch a prettyyyyyy cleaaaaaaan motorhomeeeeee.... Good luck, only 3 more days to go!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham, we wish you all the best for you big trip! Enjoy it! We will be with you in our thoughts and following your blog. Take care, will you?
    Hope to see you soon!! Kisses and a hug! Su
    PS: We will miss you in Finland :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, we have temporarily run out of coastlines. All we can offer is a riverbank with a stunning view onto the brightly lit Chain Bridge. But I have a slight suspicion that you will visit our city anyway. Hurray!
    Take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck! can't wait to read more stories!

    ReplyDelete