Saturday 12 March 2011

Traveltherapy

Almost a year into my lung cancer diagnosis, with thirty weeks of successful chemotherapy behind me, the cliches say I have to find my way to "fight" or "battle" cancer. But when you are doing it it doesn't really feel like that. There is nothing to fight against, you are really just fighting for your life... and this is how I'm going to do it:


I plan to travel the entire coast of Europe (roughly the same distance as around the world!) to “embrace” the most complex continent on the planet, united as never before. People moan about the EU, but I am an enthusiastic Europhile.

The coast also offers inspiring natural sights and contact with cultures that are now out of the mainstream (compared with our homogenized cities and highways).

The entire journey needs around seven months, starting at the beginning of spring in the Mediterranean, crossing the Arctic Circle at the height of summer, and returning to the warm south for the autumn.

My family and friends will join me for some parts of the journey (my motorhome has comfortable space for a traveling companion) but otherwise I’m on my own.

Click on the map and you'll see the plan in more detail, just the basic idea. From experience I know it's good to slow down when things are delightful and speed up when they are not. And an important part of any road trip is serendipity, being open to chances for unexpected things to happen.

This blog is intended to keep anyone who's interested, posted. Please let me know what you think. If you'd like to join me, let me know. But I’ll be equally happy to take your thoughts with me!

14 comments:

  1. Want you to go and don't want you to go, but I'll be there even when I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool man! Fantastic idea. Tonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epic... may the force be with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mixed-national vehicle...looks a bit dippy in the middle. A design feature?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham, good luck on your trip! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great!

    wishin you all the best for your adventure through the undiscovered wilderness of europes coastlines.
    wishin you good weather (well, the one that fits the perfect moments you´ll gonna have).

    and above all of this, I´m wishin you the experience you´re dreaming about.

    all the best - and we´ll have an eye on you, rust!

    frank

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only coast I know really well is Brittany (Bretagne). I lived in the area for 10 months many years ago. My plan is return to this splendid part of Europe this summer. Maybe the chance crosses our journeys. Pavel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloody brilliant! I'll be following closely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look forward to reading about your splendid discoveries :) Enjoy yourself! I'll meet you some place soon :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope to meet you during your journey!
    Call or write to get some tips for the North western Italy leg of your trip

    Gianfranco

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember when we talked about a tour like this one night in Graz.Now you are doing it-and I am still dreaming.

    I hope this trip exceeds all your expectations.

    When you travel along the German Northsea coast,you should not miss to visit one of my favourite islands-Juist or Langeoog.Langeoog is easier accessible because the ferries here are not dependant on the tide and leave Bensersiel harbour basically every two hours.
    You have to leave your beloved motorhome at mainland though, because the islands are just for pedestrians and cyclists

    ReplyDelete
  12. GRAHAM
    FANTASTIC TO HAVE A BLOG TO FOLLOW YOU AND PROBABLY MOST OF THE TIME WISHING TO BE WITH YOU SOMEWHERE...BUT MAY BE WE ALL ARE, ALSO IF NOT ALL REQUIRING A BED. SEE YOU FOR LUNCH ON SUNDAY.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saturday, March 26th, 7.45 a.m. Gubba's gone! Feeling both happy and sad at the same time. Love you Gubba. Lots. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!!!
    Still having fun? Missing Revnice? Do not!
    Looking forward to reading more news .. mainly about places! not food only!!!:)

    ReplyDelete